So, I finished my sample of Instant Oats. I had 6 meals with it (4 x 100g, 2 x 50g). See previous post for first experience with 100g + 100ml boiling water.
As suspected, I only couldn't finish the first meal because I wasn't used to the texture yet, it wasn't an issue with next meals. Flavour was still completely absent in subsequent tries. If this was a batch issue or just another instance of me having an horrible taste is still to be determined.
- 50g + 100ml water (boiling): wanted to try a less dense version. Contrary to @SilentException's opinion above, I found this to be way too watery for my taste. In the end, the densy porridge texture felt more appealing to me. Different strokes for different people...
- 100g + 100ml water (at room temperature): not a big difference when compared to boiling water, though the texture felt less well mixed, rawer.
- 100g + 100ml water (heated up with microwave): couldn't sense a difference vs. directly using boiling water.
- 100g + 100ml milk (heated up with microwave): seems like milk is absorbed less easily than water. Texture was more like the 50g + 100ml boiling water experience than the 100g + 100ml boiling water one. Tasted better with milk though.
- 50g + 35ml milk: texture was more akin to the 100g + 100ml boiling water experience. Tasted better as well.
Was sad to run out of the stuff and not being able to try more things, such as blending in extra whey protein!
Overall I liked it. The fact I couldn't taste any particular flavour was not a issue. Not sure if I would buy it -- will depend on the protein/€ price point.
This gave me ideas to try something else:
- 100g Steady (Chocolate) + 100ml boiling water: texture was too watery. Taste was still very present.
- 100g Steady (Chocolate) + 50ml boiling water: texture is denser but still not as much as oats. Required a good amount of kneading with my spoon though, so not sure I could reduce much more without having to knead for like 15 minutes.
I will try with milk next...